3/12/12

What happened??

My Dad is the Youth Pastor at our church, and we have been doing a study in Exodus in Sunday School.
This week we started chapter 5, and he pointed something out that I've never noticed before:
Exodus 5:3
And they said, The God of the Hebrews hath met with us: let us go, we pray thee, three days journey into the desert, and sacrifice unto the LORD our God;  lest he fall upon us with the pestilence or with the sword.

 Wait a minute. Is that what the Lord actually told them to say?
Exodus 4:22, 23
And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Israel is my son, even my firstborn: (23) And I say unto thee, let my son go, that he may serve me: and if thou refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay thy son, even thy firstborn.

No, that's not quite what the Lord told him to say. So Moses and Aaron altered the message!
And you know what the world is hearing today? An altered message.
Why is that? Why did they tweak what God said?
1)The fear of man.
2)To be accepted
3)To remove the negative
4)To weaken the truth

And how are things today? The same.
 Not just with the different Bible versions, but also with the churches and leaders. They are so worried (or afraid?) about being accepted that they are willing to remove the negative, and weaken the truth. So they don't preach about hell, they don't tell people they are sinners, they hide the "thou shalt not's".
So people end up in a hell they never even heard about.
Sad.
On a sidenote, I wonder if things might have been different in Egypt if Pharaoh had been given the original message. Maybe not, since we know God hardened his heart. But it's interesting to think of the possibilities. If Pharaoh had known what was at stake right up front, maybe he wouldn't have been so stubborn. Maybe all the plagues wouldn't have been necessary.
Or maybe not. God did all those amazing catastrophies to show Egypt  (a type of the world) his might and his glory.

Exodus 14:4 
And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, that he shall follow after them; and I will be honoured upon Pharaoh, and upon all his host; that the Egyptians may know that I am the LORD. And they did so.
 So I don't know. What I DO know, is that today having the true message is important. The Lord is glorified and honored through souls being saved, and THAT comes about through the message.
Romans 10:17 
 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment