3/1/12

Leviticus 15

I wonder how many people would read that title and think "Oh no...Leviticus...what can we possibly learn from that? We're free from the law, right?"
Well, yes. We are.
But there is obviously something in there for us, otherwise God wouldn't have included it in his Word. And I don't claim to know all of everything you can learn from this part of the Bible, but this morning I noticed something that may or may not be applicable.
And it's not in this chapter only. This is just one of the chapters talking about what qualifies as unclean, how long a person is unclean, what they do to be clean, and all the things that they use are unclean.
Yeah.
No offense, Lord, but bring on the coffee.
And then it talked about how if someone touches anything made unclean by the unclean person, they will be unclean too.
Lev. 15:10 And whosoever toucheth anything that was under him shall be unclean until even;...
"Ok, so where are you going with all this?"
Well, I was thinking, ok, how can I apply this to my life? CAN I apply this to my life? I've been making an effort to ask that question more often in my Bible reading, instead of just cruising along and waiting for something to smack me in the face.
So, with that mind-set, I thought:
Well, I live in the world.
John 15:19  If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the
world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

It's a very unclean place.
So sometimes (being human and all) I get dirty. I know I can't lose my salvation, But since I'm in the flesh, and this fleshy (dirty) world. So it's stands to reason that I get dirty, that I become unclean.
And guess what.
According to 1 Corinthians 6:19, my body is the temple of the Holy Ghost.
And see why God had them do it then:
Leviticus 15:31  Thus shall ye separate the children of Israel from their uncleanness; that they die not in their uncleanness, when they defile my tabernacle that is among them.

So since I'm the temple now, maybe I should be purifying myself, when I come in from the dirty world.
Just get rid of all the filth I was exposed to all day.
But how exactly would I do that?

Well, I wanna get my mind off the world and on my Saviour.

Sounds like a classic case of prayer and Bible reading.
So many problems we as Christians deal with can be fixed, or at least helped, with this simple practice.
And that brings me to another subject. Kind of. Really, they're both related.
Bible reading and prayer. I have a hard time keeping them consistent.
I know if I don't do it first thing in the morning, I WON'T end up getting to it sometime during the day. I've tried convincing myself that I will get it to it, but I never do. Or if I DO, it's not really REAL quiet time and I'm not focused because, I have all these things going on.
But.
My flesh REALLY doesn't like getting up extra early if it doesn't ABSOLUTELY have to.
So this is one are going to college has benefited me in: I have to get up at the same time everyday.
And even if I try to sleep in, there's my brain clock waking me up at 6:00 on Saturday, adhering to the rigorous training I put it through.
And it makes sense that you would give the first part of your day to the Lord.

Going back to the "unclean" idea, what do you do when you first get up every morning?
You shower, brush your teeth, and get yourself ready for the day.
Why?
Because you got dirty yesterday. You need to clean up.
So it is with your Christian walk. You were out in the yucky world. Chances are, if you walk through a pigsty, you'll get dirty.
So take your shower, wake yourself up, and devote some time to cleaning your mind with God's Word.
By no means did I exhaust the benefits of consistent Bible reading and prayer, but trust me, it's worth a few yawns!

No comments:

Post a Comment