3/8/12

A warning and a promise

I try to read through the book of Proverbs once a month. You may have noticed there are 31 chapters: one for every day of the month.
When I started with chapter 1 this month, I noticed something I've never noticed before, even though I don't know HOW many times I've read Proverbs 1. As I read what Wisdom was saying, I realized that Jesus Christ could be saying the same thing.
Some parallels:

First off, what they both offer:
(vs. 22, 23)
 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?
Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.

How the world responds :
(vs. 24, 25, 29, 30)
Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded.
But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:
...For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the Lord:
They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof.

Later, when the tables turn:
(vs. 26-28, 31)
I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;
When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.
Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me.

Those who DO heed the call:
vs. 33
But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment